17.8.11

When the world says “give up”, hope whispers “one more time”.

I’ve dealt in one of my blog posts with The Practical Value of Faith. This is basically an extension of it.

First of all, I’m not sure whether faith is an emotion. I believe, however, that, if it is an emotion, it is one of a very special kind. It seems to involve both mind, soul and emotional body.

Be it as it may, emotions are a fundamental part in the lives of us humans. I’d like to go as far as to say that it is them that make us human.

A very common human emotion is that of frustration. It belongs definitely into the class of negative emotions, for the simple fact that it feels bad.

However, that doesn’t mean that it is a useless emotion, far from it. Being frustrated means that you are not making the progress you are expecting to be making, and it doesn’t really matter whether you study for an exam or are setting up a business.

Frustration simply means that whatever you are doing feels like you’re doing it not fast enough. A frustration is basically the emotional reaction to an obstacle in our way.

Now, compare that with disappointment. Disappointment means that you have given up trying, end of story, it doesn’t work, I tried long and hard enough, can’t do it - you know where I’m getting at.

So not withstanding how frustration makes us feel, it is essentially a positive emotion. It means you’re still hammering away……

5 comments:

  1. None of are emotions are truly bad, I agree.. just a bit annoying at times. I love the way you put it at the end, turning frustration into a positive. Especially since I try to turn everything into a positivee when I can :-) Now I must continue "hammering away" at my current novel!

    Patricia Carrigan
    Author Antiserum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great food for thought. There are days when I get frustrated to the point of wondering why the hell I keep trying like an idiot... then I happen across a post like this. Things like this really do help me keep going, even if at a snail's pace sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a grand subject... For some reason, I am seeing hope as a fairy with light blue wings, urging frustration to let go of perceptions & believe in the power of mystery itself....(I just may have to blog about that!) Thank you for the evocative read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, and I believe you are correct. A Twitter friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I needed to hear this, exactly now. (Also a Twitter friend.)

    ReplyDelete